1940 Commerce Street, Suite 305, Yorktown Heights, New York 10598


Legal Assistance for Evictions Can Speed the Process

New York State requires certain steps for evicting holdover or nonpaying tenants

Evicting a tenant in New York requires a landlord to go through a legal process. The Law Firm of Gordon B. Fine helps landlords in Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess Counties including the towns of Yorktown Heights, White Plains, Peekskill, Carmel and the surrounding communities, deal with nonpaying tenants through the eviction process.

The process for evicting nonpaying tenants involves the court

As a landlord, if you are faced with a nonpaying tenant, you need to file a lawsuit requesting the overdue rent in writing. That request, or demand, is formally served upon the tenant and allows for a prescribed amount of time in which to pay. If that time passes, and you have not received payment, you must then file a petition with the court.

At the hearing, if the judge rules in your favor, the tenant is then served with a 72-hour notice to vacate. A tenant who still does not vacate may then be forcibly removed by law enforcement.

The process for evicting holdover tenants is more complicated

Lease agreements dictate the rights of both the landlord and tenant. If you have a tenant who violated some aspect of the lease other than nonpayment of rent — such as illegally allowing others to live in the apartment, refusing to leave after the lease expired or disturbing other tenants — you can bring a holdover case against them to enable an eviction. There are many variations and many written notices involved in these cases, which are more complex than simple nonpayment.

Whether it is a nonpayment or holdover proceeding, the legal requirements are complex. At our firm, we help landlords terminate tenancies through the legal process.

A Westchester County attorney who can deal effectively with nonpaying tenants and those who violate their leases

Let the Law Office of Gordon B. Fine help you as a landlord deal effectively with nonpayment and holdover cases. We can help you file petitions, serve notices, and advocate for your rights at court hearings. We can also review lease agreements. Call us today at 914-245-6250 or contact us online to schedule your free initial consultation. We offer MasterCard and Visa payment plans for the convenience of our clients.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form